Saturday, March 9, 2019

Ironing Board Cover

I decided my ironing board cover needed some upgrades.
The old one, which came with the ironing board, never could seem to stay all the way on the top. 
It also had foam padding that, after many years, had gone flat, stretched, and just wasn't conforming well to the shape of the board.
The concept was to fix these issues and maybe even make things better than new.

My cousin Suzy, who is really into quilting (check out her web page here) commented that covering an ironing board with flannel was a great way to keep her complex applique pieces from stretching when ironed.  That seemed like good guidance for the type of material to choose.  I used a 100% cotton flannel.  That will stand up to any temperature I'd normally run my iron at, since I rarely work with linen.   I found a light hearted design with mermaids that suits the other colors in my sewing room.  For padding, I had some 100% batting in my stash from some forgotten project.

First, I cut the batting in the shape of the ironing board top.
Next, I cut the flannel with 2" extra around the batting.
To stop the batting from sliding under the flannel, I quilted the two together.  I didn't do anything fancy here, just used a built in stitch from my sewing machine.  I chose one that was curvy vaguely suggested waves to me.

Next, I sewed double fold bias tape all around the cover.  I included some strong string in the bias tape to use for gathering the cover on the bottom side of the board.
Installing the cover was a snap -- just put in on the board, draw the string, and tie it tight.

I've had a chance to use the refurbished ironing board an it's awesome.  Nothing ever slips and slides off my ironing board, which had been a problem sometimes.  It's got just the right amount of padding and it even fits my style.

Come back next week for more fun with a ραπτομηχανή (sewing machine)!

No comments:

Post a Comment