Saturday, September 22, 2018

Halloween Costume, Part 2

Last week, I introduced you to the Madeline costume I'm making for an 18 month old and discussed the construction of a hat.  This week, I'm working on the major piece of the costume, a blue dress with a white Peter Pan collar.

I looked for a pattern for such a thing, but it didn't exist.  The best I could do is Butterick 4110, a dress with huge bib collar and at least the right sort of neckline.  I used the collar pattern piece to create a new collar.  The inside curve of the collar is exactly the same as the original collar and the outside is something that I drew that I thought would look about right.  The collar uses a 1/4 seam, unlike the rest of the dress, which is 5/6" seams,  There's no need for excessive bulk from seam allowances inside the collar.
Four pieces of the collar are cut and then sewn together in pairs.  The result is shown here, the front is at the top.
Finally, the collar pieces are attached to the outside of the dress, with the two pieces overlapping at the front so that they just touch at the neck seam.

When the dress is finished, the collar is pressed to the outside.  I got the halves of the collar to just touch -- an important style feature for this type of collar.
The dress has a button closure in the back.  I'm not a big fan of buttons on clothes for people to young to be trusted not to try and swallow them, so I substituted a zipper.  The front and back yokes were finished just by turning under the inside yoke and sewing it down.  This is a lot faster than hand stitching.
The sleeves were finished with just a simple elastic in a casing.
Come back next week and see how I finished off the costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment