Saturday, April 14, 2018

Suit for a Wedding

It's challenging to figure out what to wear for important family events.   Add in an outdoor event, uncertain weather conditions, and a bride determined to have a very different wedding and it becomes almost impossible.

I decided that pants and sensible shoes would be most appropriate, given the outdoor venue and uneven ground.  The weather considerations made layering a really good plan.

I decided to make a matching jacket and pants.  I found this lovely green stretch denim material.  It's slightly shiny, like a cotton sateen.  It's not a traditional choice for formal wear, but it works well and fits nicely.

The jacket is a McCall's pattern, now out of print.  I modified it to fit me. 
It has this lovely embellishment, achieved with ribbon sewn to the fabric and topped off with buttons.  I chose buttons with sunbursts because I do like sunshine.

For the pants, I used my standby jeans pattern.  Again, it's not traditional, but I knew that the pants would fit.    The jacket is funky enough that it needs to be paired with something more than standard dress pants anyway.
The pockets of the jeans were decorated with this lovely one color design from Embroidery Library.  The one color design keeps is slightly understated and the jellyfish design speaks to my love of the ocean and scuba diving.

The suit was a smashing success and I use it as my go-to formal outfit for winter events.  It was perfect for the wonderful concert by the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra last weekend.

Come back next week for more fun with a sewing machine.




No comments:

Post a Comment